Elizabethtown Police Cadet
Officer Virgil Willoughby
The Elizabethtown Police Cadet Program is a strong and growing part of our partnership between the youth of our community and the Elizabethtown Police Department. The purpose of cadet program is to develop and maintain a positive relationship between police officers and young people who are interested in a career in law enforcement by providing opportunities to participate in educational and recreational activities.
The Elizabethtown Police Explorer Post 454 began in 1991 and has evolved into the Elizabethtown Police Cadet Program. The change to a cadet program took place on March 1, 1998. The program began as a way to provide career and leadership training to young people who are considering law enforcement, and has developed into a substantial resource to the police department and the community.
The Police Cadet Program is open to young men and women between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one. Positions of responsibility are assigned to the cadets based on competence and attendance. Department personnel known as Advisors supervise the program. These advisors have the responsibility of maintaining discipline and ensuring that the program continues to be worthwhile in its efforts.
The cadets have two meetings each month, which is normally held on the second and fourth Tuesdays between 6pm and 8pm at the police department. The Cadets also meet at various times throughout the year to support community and police activities, ride with on duty officers, and participate in police related training activities.
Listed below are some of the activities that the cadets participate in during the year:
- Citizens Police Academy
- Kentucky Special Olympics: Torch Run
- March of Dimes: Walk America
- Elizabethtown's "Concert in the Park"
- Heartland Festival
- Comp-U-Kid Child ID program
- Local Crime Prevention projects
- Local Educational projects
- Traffic control
- Parking detail
To develop an understanding of the role of the police in our community
To obtain self-confidence, while learning those skills necessary to become a leader
Cadet Applicants Eligibility Requirements are as follows:
- Have reached their 16th birthday but not yet reached their 22nd birthday.
- Complete and sign any required forms.
- Be actively enrolled in school, a graduate, or obtained a G.E.D.
- Not be suspended from school.
- Not have any significant discipline problems anywhere; to include school, work or home.
- Attend three consecutive regularly scheduled meetings.
- Agree to abide by any and all orders and rules of the Elizabethtown Police Cadet Program, either verbal or written.
- Have a good driving record.
- Have a clean criminal record and have no criminal charges pending.