Citizens Police Academy
Officer Virgil Willoughby
270-360-0207 / 270-765-4125
The Citizens Police Academy (CPA) allows Elizabethtown residents the opportunity to experience various aspects of law enforcement. Academies are presented two to three times a year. They require a commitment of one night a week for six weeks. During the ride a long portion there may be two nights a week. Dates of the citizen police academies will be posted on this website. Anyone accepted to participate must undergo a background investigation. Citizens interested in participating in the next class should contact Officer Virgil Willoughby at the Police Public Relations Office.
Citizen Police Academy Attendee's Requirement's
- Applicants must be 18 years of age and possess a valid Kentucky driver's license.
- Applicants must not have been convicted of a felony and must not have any criminal or civil actions pending against them.
- Applicants must be willing to sign a waiver releasing the Elizabethtown Police Department and the City of Elizabethtown from any liability.
- Applicants must agree to make every effort to attend all classes and give advance notice to the police department if they will not be able to attend a class. More than one unexcused absence can mean termination from the class.
- If you are interested in attending a CPA class, please go to the Applicatons tab and print an current application. Please mail to Officer Virgil Willoughby at 300 South Mulberry St. Elizabethtown, KY 42701 or fax to (270) 765-7804.
The Elizabethtown Police Department instituted a Citizens Police Academy Alumni (CPAA) Program in 2012. This program is for graduates of our CPA who wish to remain involved with the police department. This group of volunteers will assist the department with special events and programs throughout the year. Examples of these events will be the Heartland Festival, Downtown Car Show and the downtown Ghost Walk. Members of the CPAA may set up tables and distribute information about the department and upcoming events. We anticipate this program will be a success and continue to grow each year.